Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Cheap, crude landmines... but they work real good

:

Accessories Discussion

Old September 13th, 2006, 12:29   #16
diamond_SEA

Send a message via MSN to diamond_SEA
Well when i built these, and was setting them up in the field, ive snapped my fingers in the trap a few times, its not that painfull at all so long as the caps dont go off, but you fingers dont put enough pressure on the caps to detonate so its pretty safe

PS the friend i mentioned that invented it is dan (flashpoint)... he demands acknowledgement in his all powerfull ability in being cheap
diamond_SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 12:38   #17
Flabeo

Send a message via MSN to Flabeo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracheous
Why not build something quiet simple.

Build a small wood box around one of those cheap small CO2 bottles that has a pin that when the top is depressed it punctures the top of the bottle venting the gas. Similar to the CO2 ones that you can buy. You can get 25 packs of those bottles for like $10 at a ANY crappy tire too.

Personally if you yourself are not willing to set the mouse trap off IN your own hand before setting this out in the feild I really wouldn't recommend the mouse traps. Specially when there are so many other ways out there. Like fire alarms for example. Stick a batter in one, wire it so that when the top is pressed it goes off! Only need to modify the test button really. Unless you're smoking out in the feild real close to the ground. Yeah I'm looking at you Stalker! :P just kidding. That way its easily reuseable. Not to mention that there are ways to rewire them up to have trip lins and all sorts of different applications to them.

Anything that can hurt someone is probably not the best way to go. And yes I know LUTNIT we are shooting at each other here. But you wanna go crawling along and roll to cover to take this thing on your ear; nose, neck, face, etc etc.?

I have built something simmiler to this but see it takes alot of work to keep the nail, and the CO2 in place. Mine worked but it took to much time to make and broke after a few uses.
Old September 13th, 2006, 18:08   #18
Freedom Fighter

Quote:
LUTNIT the thing is some people can take it, others not know its going to happen its going to hurt like a B***

Its the same as that BB, you get shot in the game you barely feel it because you are all hopped up on adrenaline. But in the safe zone where your just loading your guns and filling up, it hurts a like a B*** when someone shoots you there. Cuase A. You weren't expecting it, and B. You don't think anyone is stupid enough to shoot in the safe zones.
If people are really that precious then they shouldn't be playing airsoft, or at least have their own fancy league.
Old September 13th, 2006, 18:14   #19
Tankdude

dollar store rape alarm. pull the pin and you get loud loud noise. Get fishing line and tada.
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 20:50   #20
Flashpoint
Thanks for the credit, eventuailly.
Oh ya i picked up 5 of those cheap mouse traps at a dollar store for $1, plus the caps (200) or so for $1, and the fishing line (weaker fishing line so when you trip it it breaks but still goes off) for $3. i have used the same method on another trap except it's one of those big rat traps. Same design it just packs a bigger wallop. but some people are not comfortable with these so i don't get to use them much, Still fun though. I hope to be adding a new trap soon, but it is still in the devolipment stages. Thanks for the feedback.
Old September 13th, 2006, 21:15   #21
diamond_SEA

Send a message via MSN to diamond_SEA
Quote:
Why not build something quiet simple.

Build a small wood box around one of those cheap small CO2 bottles that has a pin that when the top is depressed it punctures the top of the bottle venting the gas. Similar to the CO2 ones that you can buy. You can get 25 packs of those bottles for like $10 at a ANY crappy tire too.

Personally if you yourself are not willing to set the mouse trap off IN your own hand before setting this out in the feild I really wouldn't recommend the mouse traps. Specially when there are so many other ways out there. Like fire alarms for example. Stick a batter in one, wire it so that when the top is pressed it goes off! Only need to modify the test button really. Unless you're smoking out in the feild real close to the ground. Yeah I'm looking at you Stalker! :P just kidding. That way its easily reuseable. Not to mention that there are ways to rewire them up to have trip lins and all sorts of different applications to them.

Anything that can hurt someone is probably not the best way to go. And yes I know LUTNIT we are shooting at each other here. But you wanna go crawling along and roll to cover to take this thing on your ear; nose, neck, face, etc etc.?
As for rolling into this thing and hurting those sensitive places, its actually touchy enought to go off with heavy enough vibrations, say like a 150+ lbs airsofter plus gear hitting the ground right next to it... as for landing on it, well then your body would just stop the bar from swinging, not a big problem

plus usually when we use these in our games, the trap is visible, so we will hide it under or beside trees and old cars and the like. plus if your paying attention you can see the tripline in the light. If your in the night or running from a hail of bbs, thats a different story. or there is always the excitement of capturing the flag, only to realize too late that the tripline is attached to the flag... isnt that right dan?
diamond_SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2006, 21:17   #22
Vivisector

Send a message via MSN to Vivisector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankdude
dollar store rape alarm. pull the pin and you get loud loud noise. Get fishing line and tada.

One of our guys used that idea to make a perimeter alarm. Works very well
Vivisector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:29   #23
Dracheous
Lego Head

If you want an easy way to mount the nail and the bottle its as simple as a screw and a peice of PVC pipe. Go to the hardware store get some electrical PVC piping, cut a peice that fits about 2 inches up the bottle, secure this a couple small blocks, I find that three in a triangle works best around it, screw it in pleace. And a screw through the top. Paint the box up brown and if you really want to hide it the way you would a real mine, dig down and get the lid to ground level. About 20 lbs would set this off if dropped a foot off of it. Someone stepping on it would set it off easily. Crawling, may have a chance to see it... disarm it easily and place it where they want it .

"The hydrogen economy car from the people who brought you the 'Hindenburg'" - Glen Foster

Condoms do not guarantee safe sex any more. A friend of mine wore one and was shot by the woman's husband!
Dracheous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2006, 12:31   #24
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I'd rather put one of these in a mouse trap. Much more fun!

http://www.thegag.com/fart-bomb-bags.html
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 12:34   #25
Blackgryph

The mouse trap, I've been using these things in games for a few months now they were brought to our group be one of our other players and now a few of us have made them. You can make them for less than a dollar, all you need is at the dollar store. Oh and the only one who is at any real resk of getting their fingers stuck in it is the people who are setting it. :smack:
Blackgryph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 08:57   #26
Amos

Me and my buddy made one of these things last night...

To test the dangers of it snapping on you.. I actually set it off on my hand... It's not that bad.

I would say a BB shot to the neck is alot worse than one of these dinky little mouse traps going off on you..

Seriosuly.. Look what you're all complaining about... You're worried your fingers are going to be caught in a mouse trap.. While you've got people shooting hunks of plastic at you going 400 FPS...

(And most of you wear gloves anyways!)
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion