Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

iron sights or not

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old January 28th, 2009, 19:19   #1
pipefitter316

iron sights or not

hey I was wondering your thoughts on scopes,red dots and other gun mounted sights. Are they worth it or is iron sight good enough, I have a red dot but I dont like it and if you know of something else tell me about it. I know about iron sites in the dark and in low light conditions and the trouble seeing through them. Is there something better than red dot your input would be helpful, I dont want to go spending tons of money for stuff I wont like.

Thanks Pipefitter
pipefitter316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 19:26   #2
coach
aka coachster

I just use a cheap RDS on my M4 and MP5. No irons on the M4 but it has a laser on the gas block now. Mp5 has irons but they tend to be too low to use with goggles.

For game were approved shooting glasses are permitted, iron sights would be okay but I still find an RDS is easier and quicker to acquire my target.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 19:26   #3
Disco_Dante

Well what don't you like about Red Dots? I only put red dots on weapons that I can't use the ironsights on for whatever reason.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 19:28   #4
Crunchmeister

It's a matter of personal preference. I can go either way, but I do prefer either EOtech or Elcan, depending on whether I need magnification or not. In game, I tend to prefer optics of some sort. For target shooting, I like using iron sights.
Old January 28th, 2009, 19:30   #5
pipefitter316

target spotting when im dealing with multiple targets i find it hard to use my red dot.
Old January 28th, 2009, 19:33   #6
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipefitter316 View Post
target spotting when im dealing with multiple targets i find it hard to use my red dot.
keep both eyes open and don't focus directly through the RDS. if you close one eye, you'll get tunnel vision and lose sight of other targets.
Old January 28th, 2009, 19:40   #7
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Sometimes it isn't just the tool you're using, but how you use it.

Red dots are meant for quick target acquisition more than long range accuracy. Many people tend to mount their red dots to the rear (closer to the shooter) in similar positions you would find a magnified scope. However, mounting the optics further up front (what's called a Scout Mount) -- with both red dots and low magnification scopes with long eye relief (like pistol scopes) -- allows for quicker target acquisition while keeping both eyes open and allowing your focus to remain distant instead of "searching" for your target through the narrow FOV of the red dot's tube. In essence, it's a bit like using a laser.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but if you're having trouble with your red dot you may find that setup preferable.

A few examples

Last edited by Drake; January 28th, 2009 at 19:44..
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 19:41   #8
Ktown Militia

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthr...ht=iron+sights

topic already covered
Old January 28th, 2009, 19:58   #9
pipefitter316

good input and I forgot to say that my right eye is lazy so after reading you guys input it now making sense, im left handed and left eye dominate im relying on my left eye to see though the red dot and losing focus else where. Im going to try that scope forward thing see if thats help.

Thanks for the info
pipefitter
Old January 28th, 2009, 20:25   #10
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
good input and I forgot to say that my right eye is lazy so after reading you guys input it now making sense, im left handed and left eye dominate im relying on my left eye to see though the red dot and losing focus else where. Im going to try that scope forward thing see if thats help.

Thanks for the info
pipefitter
try reversing that. use your right eye to sight the RDS allowing your good eye to see the "bigger" picture and stay in focus
Old January 28th, 2009, 20:44   #11
pipefitter316

yea I ve tried it just seem to hard ,im going to try putting the scope forward i think that may remedy my problem. I think ill keep trying the reddot and it will grow on me.
Old January 28th, 2009, 20:46   #12
tycho

oh man - I absolutely love my RDS/reflex sight.

The biggest trick to using them is having a gun that is accurate enough to zero on the dot...

I know it sounds obvious, but if you're having to watch the path of the bb's, then there's really no point in having the sight at all.
Old January 28th, 2009, 20:47   #13
Erennert
A minor, using dad's ID

Just curious, never owned a RDS, how do you zero it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
I'm a sniper.

Because I'm fat and can't run fast.
Erennert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 20:48   #14
Drake
E-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachster View Post
try reversing that. use your right eye to sight the RDS allowing your good eye to see the "bigger" picture and stay in focus

Actually if you're doing the scout setup with the red dot, do neither.

The entire point of moving the optics further up front (away from your face) is so you don't have to focus on the optics at all. Just look in the distance as you normally would and as long as the red dot is in your field of vision, you WILL see the dot. You don't have to focus on the dot, it's noticeable even peripherally and you just know that where the dot is is where the gun is pointed (essentially). This is what makes it quick, and makes it effective (your focus is always in the distance).

Just turn a red dot on and hold it at arm's length in front of your face and look around (don't look at the dot itself), you'll understand.

Last edited by Drake; January 28th, 2009 at 20:52..
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 20:52   #15
tycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erennert View Post
Just curious, never owned a RDS, how do you zero it in?
The dot usually has vert/hor adjustments on it. That, combined with tweaking your hop-up, usually lets you get pretty darn close to zero IF your gun is able to shoot a bb in the same spot shot after shot.

I got really, really lucky with my aegs - when I bought them they were both pre-upgraded and accurate as all hell. In CQB games I literally just put the dot where I want to shoot and am confident my aeg will put a bb there.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion