Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Rust in the metal part of slide on a KSC Glock

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old March 2nd, 2006, 16:18   #1
DannyMac

Rust in the metal part of slide on a KSC Glock

I've got a KSC glock 19 that is brand new I've had it for like a couple of weeks. Ok and so when I remove the slide and take a look at the metal parts on the inside rear part of the slide, the metal is completely brown. It looks to me like it's either rusted to shit, or else maybe that's the natural colour of the metal? Anyone else have a KSC glock and knows whether or not that appears to look like what I described. This also applies to the metal part of the inner barrel that slides into the outer barrel. The actual inner barrel itself is shiny silve metal, but the metal piece attached to the rear is compeltely brown and all tarnished looking. Thanks for your help, just hoping I didn't get a lemon.
DannyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 16:21   #2
gandar

Send a message via MSN to gandar
Is it brown or rust red/brownish colour? Take a picture, kinda hard to say with the way you're describing it...

Alternatively, I could just light you on fire. - Me
gandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 16:27   #3
DannyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandar
Is it brown or rust red/brownish colour? Take a picture, kinda hard to say with the way you're describing it...
It's kinda brown but you know how say silver looks when you don't polish it and it gets all tarnished? It kinda has a look like that to it. I'll take a picture from it later when I can grab my buddies digital camera.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 16:54   #4
v82slo

Actually it may be normal colour. The internals are made of some weird "monkey metal" that has a funny color. Spray or put some lube in the internals and that should keep them happy.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 17:49   #5
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Totally odd to me. I have two KSC G19s and not a brown spot on them. Shades of grey where the black has been rubbed away by use, but aside from that............ Sounds like you are in need of a cleaning with silicon oil and Q-tips! See if the stuff comes off and what the metal under looks like.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2006, 18:07   #6
DannyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker
Totally odd to me. I have two KSC G19s and not a brown spot on them. Shades of grey where the black has been rubbed away by use, but aside from that............ Sounds like you are in need of a cleaning with silicon oil and Q-tips! See if the stuff comes off and what the metal under looks like.
i dunno it's weird man, all of the metal is really brown looking, almost like it's copper, and I just tried wiping it with a Q tip and absolutely nothing is coming off, almost like that's how the metal is intended to be? This gun is brand new and I haven't even fired it yet or anything.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 19:52   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyMac
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker
i dunno it's weird man, all of the metal is really brown looking, almost like it's copper, and I just tried wiping it with a Q tip and absolutely nothing is coming off, almost like that's how the metal is intended to be? This gun is brand new and I haven't even fired it yet or anything.
Did you use a solvent of any kind? Is it just the look that has you worried? Best you load 'er up and knock off a few mags to see if it acts funny.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 23:05   #8
DannyMac

Ok guys I got a picture taken of it. And I'm totally stumped. I've tried wiping it with a cloth really hard and you'd think if it were rust there would be a substantial amount of reddish-brown crap rubbing off, but nothing at all is coming off even when I rub hard.

but i dunno all the other pics I've seen on the net show it as being kinda black/gray, and I just got it brand new it's kinda maddening. The metal part at the rear of the inner barrel looks exactly the same.

Please give me your thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010085.JPG (71.6 KB, 47 views)
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:06   #9
PTE. Pyle

Send a message via MSN to PTE. Pyle
i would personaly head to home depot and buy a quart of tremclad rust paint and some verry fign sand paper. sand and put a coat of the rust paint on it. if it is rust it isnt that bad i dont see any pits so stop it befor it realy starts to eat in to the metal. just my thaughts though.

you could also try some steel wool and see if it comes off with that. chances are if it is rust a cloth will not take it off as it is prety light. think of a brake rotar when they start to rust you remouve the rust with steel wool it wont rub off with a cloth.
Old March 5th, 2006, 01:32   #10
Eddie

Send a message via MSN to Eddie
Heres a question, did you leave it in a high moisture area? Like if you left it in your trunk during a reallly rainy day.

I had a set of Mastercraft screw driver set in a plastic case on a really rainy day the next day a bunch of the bits was rusted. I didn't even use the tools that day and it rusted.

Also found a bit in my trunk today in the corner total rusted.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:30   #11
DannyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie
Heres a question, did you leave it in a high moisture area? Like if you left it in your trunk during a reallly rainy day.

I had a set of Mastercraft screw driver set in a plastic case on a really rainy day the next day a bunch of the bits was rusted. I didn't even use the tools that day and it rusted.

Also found a bit in my trunk today in the corner total rusted.
man it was like this right out of the box when I bought it.
Old March 5th, 2006, 12:32   #12
DannyMac

man it looked like this brand new out of the box. It hasn't been anywhere but in my house.

I started sanding it a little bit with fine sand paper and the brown seems to come off pretty easily and under it its just really shiny silver metal.
Old March 5th, 2006, 20:15   #13
PTE. Pyle

Send a message via MSN to PTE. Pyle
once you remouve all the brown id do a light coat of paint. also keep it well oiled and that will prevent it from oxidizing again.
Old March 5th, 2006, 20:47   #14
Greylocks

Use 0000 steel wool, it will rub the rust away. Then use a light coat of silicone grease.
Just keep an eye on it from time to time.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 21:59   #15
DannyMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTE. Pyle
once you remouve all the brown id do a light coat of paint. also keep it well oiled and that will prevent it from oxidizing again.
what kind of paint would you reccomend for something like this? And also, since it looks all rusted, how do I get down in there? That screw in the middle of the metal you see on the slide there, if I unscrew that does that whole metal piece lift out?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion