Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

ATF and WE GBBR w/ release from ATF

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old June 5th, 2010, 02:25   #1
kullwarrior

ATF and WE GBBR w/ release from ATF

This is taken from Arnies front page right now.

http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/

All I can say their definition of easily convertable is...NOT easily IMHO.
For those who want to make it here's how without reading through:

WE or WA or JG M4 GBBR
A Complete Upper Assembly w/ bolt carrier
AR-15 Hammer Set, Pin Spring
AR-15 buffer spring and buffer
a Steel rod to replace the pivot pin (its not a direct drop it)
A dremal and some sanding work..
=They say 1hour

OR if you want to do it the easier way...
Straw Purchase an AR-15
Remove the Trigger Assembly, sand off the disconnector (DON'T ASK ME WHERE, I know where though, discovered this accidentally when I wore out my GBBR disconnector)
= I would say this would take ~15min for a newbie, 5 min for a gunsmith.

Seriously wow, those ATF are really that desperate. I bet Wendy Cukier is gonna use that as a knee jerk reaction to ban all pellet, paintball, nerf, airsoft, paper, lego, chicken-leg-resembled gun
Old June 5th, 2010, 11:00   #2
Boyso
a.k.a. LastSpartan

Send a message via MSN to Boyso
They really changed everything on it...

I think they're just looking too hard at making replicas publicly known as firearms.

I mean, I could've built it out of wood and put the same AR components, would be the same.

I also love all they always call it a machinegun.

"WHEN I DIE
BURY ME
UPSIDE DOWN
SO THE WORLD
CAN KISS MY ASS"
-Platoon

Boyso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 14:05   #3
kullwarrior

well now the question is that is the hysteria going to be enter Japan as well? (whos more strict about this)
Old June 5th, 2010, 14:27   #4
RacingManiac

I think its actually more problematic in US(and to an extend Canada) than Japan. ATF and CBSA both consider lower as the controlled "firearm", and uppers are not restricted and can be obtained much easier. In Japan you can't get guns or parts with nearly the kind of access here. They are worry about stuff being able to converted to "shoot" bullets. In US and Canada its about being being able to obtain firearm outside of the controlled means....

My Arnies' Album
My PBase Album
Custom Pistol Whore...
RacingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 15:06   #5
Phylter

So...I guess if I were to send them my front door, they'd cut a lower receiver out of it in an hour with their handy-dandy Dremel tool, and tell me it was a firearm. Would I have to forfeit my front door to them?

It seems a bit of a stretch to swap out all of the firing components and still say that it's the original that's a firearm. Does the steel pipe at Canadian Tire qualify? Could probably get a half-inch pipe and mod it to fire .50AE. Sure, it's now a firearm, but does that mean that a half-inch pipe is a firearm in itself?

Everything is a gun. If it isn't, you can make it one. I just can't wait to see someone try to outlaw knives and "improvised knives". The day you tell someone they're not allowed to sharpen something, I think I'll go hang myself for lack of a razorblade.
Phylter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 15:21   #6
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
That depends Phylter, is yours a stock wood door? or did you get the Metal FMU Upgrade?

Im not a firearms expert, I can see where they are trying to go with this in terms of "turning a toy into a weapon."

But as I understand it, "readily converted" is a very undifinitive term. An experienced Millwright, can "readily convert" a piece of steel or aluminum or steel into a firearm. I know for Japanese Manufacturers, Airsoft guns (Labeled ASGK) are designed to fail after it reaches a certain breaking point. (or is asgk only used to label AEG's instead of gbbrs?) Would that not apply here?

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 15:47   #7
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
I can turn a common BBQ propane tank into a bomb with about the same amount of time and modification..

Better get rid of those.

You know why red necks grow beards, buy guns and live in the woods? So they don't have to listen to the deafening sound of this world becoming too stupid to breathe.

Wheres my fucking cider...
Old June 5th, 2010, 16:07   #8
kullwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackthorne View Post
I can turn a common BBQ propane tank into a bomb with about the same amount of time and modification..

Better get rid of those.

You know why red necks grow beards, buy guns and live in the woods? So they don't have to listen to the deafening sound of this world becoming too stupid to breathe.

Wheres my fucking cider...
Your slow then, it doesn't take a genius to make a time bomb, disposable propane tank works also, like gasoline...
it just seems criminal wont go through that trouble to convert one, and inaddition, you can make an machinegun easier from semi.
Old June 5th, 2010, 16:40   #9
Drake
E-01

The level of technical knowledge and machining/weaponsmithing skills required to effectively perform their mod is about the same as starting with an 80% lower, except a lot more expensive (but less work).

Last edited by Drake; June 5th, 2010 at 16:43..
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 17:09   #10
Eeyore
Suburban Gun Runner

Arn't these the same guys that while on camera proclaimed that they could be converted to real steel, then put the mag in backwards? Firearms are very prolific in the states. The question is can a WE gbbr be converted into a working automatic weapon?
http://i.imgur.com/wBfBB.gif
Eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 20:33   #11
WingZER0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
The level of technical knowledge and machining/weaponsmithing skills required to effectively perform their mod is about the same as starting with an 80% lower, except a lot more expensive (but less work).
Errr, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't M16 FCG a pain in the ass to get a hold of? The AR15 hammer lacks the hook that the M16 hammer has, and a single shot rifle is a helluva different then the full auto machine gun they were previously claiming. Even a bolt action rifle has better capacity and speed then this thing now, and there's more BA rifles in the US then there are cars.
WingZER0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 20:50   #12
Rugger_can

Oh my, a Government Entity makes a Stupid knee jerk call?

Whats retarded about this is that in any place in the US a person can drive less then 10 hours and find a gun show that will sell them a pistol for LESS then this thing costs to buy and turn into a functioning rifle, not to mention that the ATF's own statistics indicate that a disproportionate amount of gun related deaths are caused by handguns not rifles.
Rugger_can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 21:07   #13
wildcard

Send a message via MSN to wildcard Send a message via Yahoo to wildcard
So what they did is basicly replaced and modify the whole thing to make it shoot a .223 round WOW..................Someone should really give whomever suggested this test a nice swift kick in the balls, clearly this person who ever is in charge does not deserve to procreate because it might be a danger to him/herself or the society, do they really think that anyone who wanted to commit a crime with a M16 is going to go through all that instead of going to the nearest gunstore or show to actually purchase a real one for fraction of teh cost?
wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 23:45   #14
mcguyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZER0 View Post
Errr, correct me if I'm wrong but aren't M16 FCG a pain in the ass to get a hold of? The AR15 hammer lacks the hook that the M16 hammer has, and a single shot rifle is a helluva different then the full auto machine gun they were previously claiming. Even a bolt action rifle has better capacity and speed then this thing now, and there's more BA rifles in the US then there are cars.
You need an FFL to get any FA lower parts for ARs in the U.S.

Manufacturing FA has been prohibited since 1986, but the ones that do exist can be transferred to other FFL owners. The cost of an M16 can be $20,000 down there.

When I was in Arizona and Nevada in 2008, you could buy an 80% lower no FFL required and do you own finishing. They were $200 for a Sun Devil blank, and about $100 for the upper. LP kit was about $80.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion