Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

VFC MK16 - gear broke

:

Doctor's Corner

Old March 9th, 2014, 18:27   #1
snaven

VFC MK16 - gear broke

Good day, So I got this brand new VFC MK 16 cqc its awesome love it and blah blah but as I love this stuff I opened it, wasn't easy, I changed a piston to a better one and well heres the problem, I might have placed the spring on the gear wrong or maybe the piston wasn't good I don't know but when I pulled the trigger I heard an awfull sound. opened the gun and on 1 gear im missing a tooth and the other 4.....so new gun already done....question is where do I get gears for that? I got it from Mach 1 and hes looking into it but so far everything I find seems different or doesn't have a sector clip....I just hope my gun isn't dead after 1 week in the basement :S

I have 2 guns both ICS and they are easy as pie to fix so dunno about VFC but so far this isn't good, hope someone can help
snaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 19:14   #2
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

airsoftstore.ca

or... give me the gun and I fix it for you if you're in ottawa, should take an hour or two plus parts. send me a msg if you don't think you can handle it yourself.

You want a standar ratio gearset (18:1) if you want to replace what's in there.

If you want a bit faster rof (16:1) ratio but I'd recommend you stay with 18:1s if you don't want to 'upgrade' and just want to repair.

Last edited by lurkingknight; March 9th, 2014 at 19:18..
lurkingknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 19:22   #3
snaven

they don't have it, Mach 1 have a set of gear called speed gear and hes looking to see if it will fit. mine has a sector clip though his doesn't. I think I can fix it, it broke because of a couple mistakes I did, like I think I placed the spring on my gear upside down which is the auto shimming and well it doesn't work upside down ugh lol amateur mistake but made a big noise and snapped the teeth https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...33459037_n.jpg
Old March 9th, 2014, 19:41   #4
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

any gearset will work just get a pack of shims as well, you don't need the sector clip unless you're putting a 11.1v lipo onto a 16:1 gearset.

You can also take the one off the VFC gear and more than likely fit it onto a lonex or shs sector gear.

The auto shimming is garbage. If you think about how much torque even a stock motor can generate, you expect a tiny little spring like that to keep the gear in the right spot?

VFC gears are not indestructible, you could have installed everything right and they still may have let go.

A speed gearset can be 16 or 13:1 or even 10:1. You want to make sure you don't go lower than 16:1 you're getting into crazy fire rates or a problem with motor or battery not being enough to pull the added weight. A standard gearset is fine.
Old March 9th, 2014, 19:56   #5
snaven

oh well that all makes sense, well I wont touch the auto shimming, all was fine until I opened the darn thing like the idiot I am lol I should follow the simple rule, if it aint broke don't fix it!

I was gonna buy those cause im trying to keep the same brand cause well that's who I am lol It says high speed gear so I wasn't sure and mach 1 will look for me http://mach1airsoft.com/product/rein...peed-gear-set/
Old March 9th, 2014, 19:57   #6
snaven

appreciate all your input btw thanks a lot!
Old March 9th, 2014, 20:02   #7
K3vX

Just follow this dude's advice and don't buy an overpriced set of gear just because of the name, please.

This set from AirsoftStore.ca is perfectly fine. If you really wish to pay 50$, get the Lonex 18:1 set from the same retailer.

If I may ask, why did you open the gearbox?
K3vX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2014, 20:32   #8
snaven

simple, I like to see whats inside my guns but also because I was told VFC has lame piston so I got a better one and just wanted to switch. on the same day before I broke this I prepared and fixed 4 of my ICS gearboxes so I wasn't too scared of VFC, which I should have as they are far from being the same omg
Old March 9th, 2014, 20:52   #9
lurkingknight
"bb bukakke" KING!

vfc does have a pretty lame piston.
Old March 9th, 2014, 21:39   #10
K3vX

ICS has a split design, which significantly eases the assembly/disassemble process, since you can close it in two steps rather than all at once.

Look up a few video on V2 gearbox opening and closing, and since you already messed with the gearbox, open and close it, following the videos, carefully a few times.

You'll eventually get the hang of it.

If (when) you get new gears, look up on how to shim it (search any tutorial you like with the mention of "bevel to pinion" and don't follow those "from the spur gear"). Do it right, the gears should never break again. It may (will) frustrate you in the beginning, and you will need to attempt it a few time (even if it will seem perfect the first time).

You, however, *must* do it.

Last step. If you wish to pursue the tuning route, get an account on Airsoftmechanics and read, a lot. I did that late, and I now wish I had registered before.

An airsoft AEG, if tuned right, will *always* perform better than stock, so don't be afraid to work on gearboxes, even if people around tell you you are committing a sin, and stock gearboxes should be left alone (true story).

Welcome to the world of airsoft tuning, or airsoft "teching".
K3vX is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner