Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Full-Spectrum Survival

:

Tactics, Techniques and Procedures

Old March 22nd, 2010, 12:07   #31
ROADER

Send a message via MSN to ROADER
Question to those who did more research then I on survival subjects ...
In such scenarios the society as we know it collapses, but another one takes its place. Every one will be scrambling to get the goods and supplies they need. Specially during "bugging-out" you might realize that you need some supplies that you need are available someone else in larger quantity then they need. Such situation will create an opportunity/need for barter (for those who thinking about more uncivilized ways of getting them, please remember that any confrontation is additional risk). Will you carry some minor extra things for such occasions?
On other forums I saw some ideas that valuables like gold/silver would do ... I highly doubtful about those ... more like cigarettes and possibly alcohol if any. And I know that ALL such habits should be dropped as part of preparation ... but still others might see value in those luxury items. I know this from 1st hand experience when I was quitting smoking 3 years ago ...
Old March 22nd, 2010, 12:17   #32
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADER View Post
Question to those who did more research then I on survival subjects ...
In such scenarios the society as we know it collapses, but another one takes its place. Every one will be scrambling to get the goods and supplies they need. Specially during "bugging-out" you might realize that you need some supplies that you need are available someone else in larger quantity then they need. Such situation will create an opportunity/need for barter (for those who thinking about more uncivilized ways of getting them, please remember that any confrontation is additional risk). Will you carry some minor extra things for such occasions?
On other forums I saw some ideas that valuables like gold/silver would do ... I highly doubtful about those ... more like cigarettes and possibly alcohol if any. And I know that ALL such habits should be dropped as part of preparation ... but still others might see value in those luxury items. I know this from 1st hand experience when I was quitting smoking 3 years ago ...

2 words

toilet paper

worth more than gold .. and approaching the value of ammunition in a SHTF day after
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 12:30   #33
ROADER

Send a message via MSN to ROADER
In Russian camping/hiking community we call it "THE Book" ...
Thank you for a heads up Brian ... somehow I missed that one ...
Old March 22nd, 2010, 12:59   #34
twsmith

Wow... like wow. An hour without power and you felt exposed? You're kidding right?

Up in northeastern BC, we've had outages that lasted about 22 hours during severe wind storms. I heard Tumbler Ridge had the power out for a couple days last winter due to a transformer outage in the substation. We had a Coleman gas lantern and camp stove and a small propane camping heater (all used with windows open to ensure adequate ventilation to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning) and they worked just fine for the short time we needed them. A couple small bottles of propane and a can of white gas could easily last several days or even weeks and it's pretty hard to beat the quantity of of light a gas lantern can produce with something battery powered (plus it also produces heat which could be a benefit if you rely on electric heating). We later ended up buying a generator but haven't had the opportunity to use it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvolution View Post
Gentlemen (and possibly Ladies),

I come before you today to ask for some advice.
I guess a car hit a pole out here or something, knocked out power for two city blocks for approx an hour.

During this hour we all scrambled for light sources which consisted of candles and mini LED keychain lights (powerful suckers, didnt work half bad actually).

Just looking for some advice for some decent battery flashlights (Im guessing surefire because I hear about them the most), and possibly a crank radio and crank light).

I felt exposed during this short time, my mother jumping up to the ceiling every time the house creaked going "WHAT WAS THAT?" didnt help either.

That go-bag/3 day bag looks better every day.
twsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 15:53   #35
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0009646

Winter urban survival without power is tricky. Lot of people died or got sick from innapropriate heating devices.

Maintaining your house in winter with no power is also important. Draining all your pipes and toilets of water to prevent pipe bursting, Dumping anti-freeze where the water can't be properly purged.

Security was also a must, since during the night, there was no alarms or lights working. The police was patrolling the streets, but there was some accounts of looting. Especially where there was evacuations.

My aunt was in the "black triangle". The most affected zone of the cricis. She managed to survive in her house for 1 week. Using her fireplace and consuming her rations. She ended up moving to our place, wich had it's power restaured 48h after the first day. (we lived near a hospital and old people building, wich result in very efficient power grid maintenance)

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 16:00   #36
MrEvolution
MrChairsoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post
Wow... like wow. An hour without power and you felt exposed? You're kidding right?
Not so much as exposed, more as in unprepared. Family didnt know where anything was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrail25 View Post
I'm no expert on the law, but the only victims of rape in this story are the 40 men.
MrEvolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 16:33   #37
Brian McIlmoyle
8=======D

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvolution View Post
Not so much as exposed, more as in unprepared. Family didnt know where anything was.
This is why everyone should carry or have within arms length

1. source of fire
2. source of light
3. source of death
Toronto Downtown Age Verifier

OPERATION WOODSMAN

If the tongue could cut as the sword does, the dead would be infinite
Brian McIlmoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 16:56   #38
FOX_111
Le Roi des poissons d'avril

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian McIlmoyle View Post
This is why everyone should carry or have within arms length

1. source of fire
2. source of light
3. source of death
Original. I like the terminology.

Vérificateur d'âge: Terrebonne
FOX_111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 17:37   #39
deep in the bush
Monkey with a Gun

Send a message via MSN to deep in the bush
I work with emergency preparedness Canada. I am producing a series of videos this year with them.

I am looking forward to seeing what they suggest for the unwashed masses.

I have my own plan up and runing for the past 20 years now.

No I will not share it with you all and let you know where I have my camp "deep in the bush."

I'm the Barrie Bastard.
http://www.bbbastard.com/

Cheese is good.
deep in the bush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 17:43   #40
twsmith

Agreed Fox, it's critical that people using camp stoves, gas lanterns, etc... indoors provide proper ventilation, most of them were never intended for indoor use. We have a couple battery powered carbon monoxide detectors, so I felt relatively comfortable using the devices indoors with the windows cracked open a few inches. It's actually pretty crazy what people will try to do when the power is out, I've heard of people using barbecues to try to heat their houses. These stories don't usually have a happy ending.

I forgot to mention that I live about 15 minutes from the Peace Canyon dam and 40 minutes from Bennett Dam so the power outages are a bit frustrating when you consider that a significant portion of the province's power is generated just down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX_111 View Post
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0009646

Winter urban survival without power is tricky. Lot of people died or got sick from innapropriate heating devices.

Maintaining your house in winter with no power is also important. Draining all your pipes and toilets of water to prevent pipe bursting, Dumping anti-freeze where the water can't be properly purged.

Security was also a must, since during the night, there was no alarms or lights working. The police was patrolling the streets, but there was some accounts of looting. Especially where there was evacuations.

My aunt was in the "black triangle". The most affected zone of the cricis. She managed to survive in her house for 1 week. Using her fireplace and consuming her rations. She ended up moving to our place, wich had it's power restaured 48h after the first day. (we lived near a hospital and old people building, wich result in very efficient power grid maintenance)

Last edited by twsmith; March 22nd, 2010 at 17:50.. Reason: addition
twsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2010, 22:08   #41
Wilson

Amazon.com: The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It (9780756654504): John Seymour: Books

Great book for the self starters out there. Beautiful artwork and diagrams assist the bountiful knowledge contained in the text. Best purchase I've made in years.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 04:14   #42
Jbone 11 11

Funny.... nowhere in these posts has anyone mentioned the use of candles. Maybe you've heard of them... they are sticks of wax with a wick up the middle. You light the wick and the wax keeps the flame going for an extended period of time, LOL!!

Seriously though... its the first thing I go for when the power goes out. Flashlights are for when ya gotta go outside to take a crap!

Also, and this by no means is meant to discredit Wilson or anyone else, but living in Sudbury vs. Toronto or Montreal is vastly different. A total collapse in T.O. ? I shudder at the thought! I total collapse in Sudbury (my family is from Field BTW)... could be worse.

That being said, when the entire eastern seaboard went out about 5 or 6 years ago (I think) downtown Ottawa (yes I know Ottawa aint no Toronto or Montreal!) I was amazed at how much order there was. Yes, there were kiddies running around causing shit, but they do that regardless.... no, what struck me the most was driving through Chinatown near Bronson and Summerset... hords of families and people in general were just chillin outside on the street... erie as hell when there are no lights except for the ones from your vehicle, but completely peacful.

My point being, people have a habbit of surprising you when you least expect it. Would I want to be stuck at Jane and finch in a total societal collapse... probably not, but genarally speaking, I don't think that it would all that bad... at least for a little while. Once the frozen pizzas ran though.... shit... chaos!

Oh and the last thing....just a pet-peeve, but last time I heard the term "bugging out" applied it was meant as a "GTF out...NOW!!! MOVE!!" kinda thing. But like I said... just me being picky.
Jbone 11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:02   #43
bean
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to bean
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_matter View Post
Check this link out:
YouTube- "Concept U.S.K." Surviving Urban Disaster Pt 1

It is a video series done by Nutnfancy. He is a gun, knife, tactical gear, and outdoor gear reviewer living in the south western US. All of his stuff is full of information, mostly unbiased, and lots of interesting concepts.

This video is speaking to a survival kit for urban situations. I have been following this guy on Youtube for quite a while now and I think he has alot of good information to put out there.

I highly reccommend his videos to anyone wanting a heap of information before investing some real money into a knife or hiking gear. (Check out the hiking boots video series for example, it gave me the info of what to look for in a proper boot)
Yeah he isnt as good as he thinks he is. His reviews are exceptionally biased also.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 06:44   #44
Jbone 11 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow_matter View Post
I highly reccommend his videos to anyone wanting a heap of information before investing some real money into a knife or hiking gear. (Check out the hiking boots video series for example, it gave me the info of what to look for in a proper boot)
Don't mean to nit-pick,but there isn't much to picking the "right" knife. I mean, if it cuts, is not made of stainless steal... pretty much anything will do.
I find most "survivalist" info a bit extreme though... a very North American thing, I've come to realize. Must be from being surrounded by millions of acres of woods or something. LOL!
Not to say that there is something wrong with being prepared... after all... I used to be a scout. ; ) But dropping heaps of cash on that type of stuff is a bit gear whorish....I know because I am one... but Im rehab so... ; )
Jbone 11 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 14:33   #45
DonP

I'm all in favor of emergency preparedness but honestly if someone is prepping for extreme survivalist stuff before they are even prepared to survive a week in their home without utilities, then that person is really just jerking off to Red Dawn fantasies with "emergency preparedness" as an excuse.
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Tactics, Techniques and Procedures