Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Kydex grenade spoon

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old June 7th, 2017, 12:44   #1
Katipunero

Kydex grenade spoon

I've been using cyclone grenades more frequently and found them very useful when trying to get opfor out of a room or shed (Siege).

They work great for the most part, but looking at the spoon, it was obvious to me that they designed this with poor plastic for the sole purpose of return on sales.

Fine by me, and I believe it is a very wise and simple engineering design that they should definitely merit profiting from.

The tab on the spoon that retains the fuse head pin in an angled position and thus detonating, routinely breaks once thrown, stepped on or simply by unfortunate chance.

Now I don't have an issue spending and buying replacement spoons to support an innovative company; after all, we are taking airsoft here and the majority of us have no qualms spending hundreds of dollars on guns and gear without hesitation.

I was more concerned with wait time and frequent occurrence of the issue of the spoon breaking. If they offered an upgraded metal spoon, or one with better plastic, I probably would've already ordered one. But that would probably defeat their business model. Never mind that, and on to my modification.

A lot of people who've broken their spoons simply end up not using one, or drilling the retaining pins lower so that the pin holds the fuse head in the angled position. This works fine, but I would worry that in the process of pulling the pin and finding an opportune time to throw, the primer would dislodge and blow up in my hand by accident.

I recently started working with kydex, and have made a couple holsters and mag pouches. My experience working with kydex has been quite rewarding; using a toaster oven, heat gun and some scrap materials, I've made some very functional custom gear that I would proudly and reliably game with.

That brings me to the kydex spoon. Super simple and I don't think I have to go into too much detail about it; the pictures speak for themselves.

I highly doubt I'll be breaking any spoons anytime soon, as with the durability and flexibility of kydex, the grenade itself will probably break before the spoon does.

Hope this helps anyone in the same situation. Took about 5 minutes to make with a heat gun.
Katipunero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 04:00   #2
hunter1234

Would you be willing to make/sell more?
hunter1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2017, 19:59   #3
Katipunero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1234 View Post
Would you be willing to make/sell more?
I posted this in an effort to let those with these issues realize how easy it is to make - with that being said, it really isn't difficult to do yourself.

I compare the construction of it to bending a paperclip except with a heat gun and kydex.

Kydex was my material of choice because I was already making other things with it. Off the top of my head you could probably do the same thing with a piece of tin doubled up from a beer can or the likes.

:tup:
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:53   #4
Katipunero

Quick release kydex grenade belt holster.

I used to attach the grenades by carabiner to my plate carrier by the pin, and the grenades used to dangle around.

Old June 13th, 2017, 12:21   #5
Radonkulus

looks relatively simple. Ill have to try it. as nobody ever has the cyclone resupply kits in stock. on another note i bet you could sell these for 5-10 a pop even more as i dont really know how much kydex costs

Thanks for the great idea
Radonkulus is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications