Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

LiFE Batteries

:

Accessories Discussion

Old September 13th, 2010, 22:46   #1
nx2001

LiFE Batteries

I have been trying to find information on the new LiFE (i.e. Lithium Iron Phosphate) battery technology. I did find some general information on the net but I was wondering if anyone has any additonal details on LiFE battery's, and more importantly, has anyone gamed LiFE batteries?

Many thanks!
nx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2010, 23:16   #2
Danke

I'm curious too, wonder if to go this route or LiPo. Airsoft Parts CA has them but I haven't seen anyone local witht them.
Old September 13th, 2010, 23:40   #3
scurvythepirate

This video might help:
YouTube - Airsoft GI - Madbull Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery
Old September 14th, 2010, 00:00   #4
Kos-Mos

Basically all the good sides of LiPo, without the "dangers".

It requires a special charger made just for theses. Each cell is 3.0v instead of 3.7, meaning you can run your gun on a safe 9.0v, or 12V if you want to.

They have about the same energy density as LiPo, but lack the instant current delivery. For airsoft it won't change a thing.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 00:45   #5
Chingyul

Just for search purposes, I believe they're referred to as LiFePO4 batteries.
At least that's what I refer to them in the flashlight world.
I have a couple of CR123 in this chemistry. Lower voltage, and slightly lower energy density too.
Safer though. Doesn't release oxygen on failure, so no fire danger.
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:01   #6
GBear

Send a message via MSN to GBear
They are referred to as LiFePO4 in industry. Yes, they are a LOT safer than LiPo.

Chingyul, I think you mean they don't release hydrogen. This causes the bulging in a lot of Lithium batteries when you overvoltage, undervoltage, or overcurrent batteries without a proper protection circuit module.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayce View Post
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

I am not familiar with airsoft.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
GBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:58   #7
grantmac

The A123 2300mAh cells in this chemistry can put out some amazing amperage. I run an 2P4S pack on my motorcycle for starting (saved 5-6lbs over a gell battery) and it would probably do just fine with a 4S pack alone.

Definitely the chemistry to be looking at for guns which have the room.

-Grant
grantmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:06   #8
Chingyul

Nope, pretty sure it's oxygen (no hydrogen in that formula).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...sphate_battery
Old September 14th, 2010, 07:40   #9
coach
aka coachster

Life batteries are awesome. I love the intellect 9.9v stick I have. Safer than lipo's because they are suppose to shut down and prevent over charge and discharge. The madbulls are great too but require the madbull charger I believe due to the madbull specific balancer connector.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 09:03   #10
m102404
Tys

Alfred converted the balancing tap to a regular connector...you can get them at a hobby store.

As long as your charger is smart enough to handle/ID the voltages for the cells you're ok.

Coach...you've used yours quite a bit...any fall off in performance/longevity after a season (half season?) of cycles?
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 10:16   #11
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Alfred converted the balancing tap to a regular connector...you can get them at a hobby store.

As long as your charger is smart enough to handle/ID the voltages for the cells you're ok.

Coach...you've used yours quite a bit...any fall off in performance/longevity after a season (half season?) of cycles?
Actually, I only used it for one game so far. Have yet to deplete it to where it just stops.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:00   #12
GBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingyul View Post
Nope, pretty sure it's oxygen (no hydrogen in that formula).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium...sphate_battery
I am talking about LiPos. eHow FTW! LOL!

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5594715_do...tch-fire_.html

Well, eHow and I also worked with Lithium batteries way too much during my last co-op term. :banghead: It doesn't matter if it contains hydrogen or not. It comes from the humidity in the air.

Quote:
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?

Last edited by GBear; September 14th, 2010 at 11:04..
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:08   #13
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
I am talking about LiPos. eHow FTW! LOL!

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5594715_do...tch-fire_.html

Well, eHow and I also worked with Lithium batteries way too much during my last co-op term. :banghead: It doesn't matter if it contains hydrogen or not. It comes from the humidity in the air.
Yeah right

Heres an article I just found after I followed your link

http://www.ehow.com/how_5941616_disc...o-battery.html

They actually suggest to discharge lipos for storage without a word about never going under 3v/cell....

thats just plain stupid and dangerous

EDIT: haha even wost :
Quote:
Check for any left over voltage with a voltage meter before storing or recharging.

Last edited by flack; September 14th, 2010 at 11:11..
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2010, 11:26   #14
GBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
Yeah right

Heres an article I just found after I followed your link

http://www.ehow.com/how_5941616_disc...o-battery.html

They actually suggest to discharge lipos for storage without a word about never going under 3v/cell....

thats just plain stupid and dangerous

EDIT: haha even wost :
LOL! Okay that writer is retarded.

I will try to find a legit source but think about it from a chemistry standpoint. Once you overcharge, you WILL get Li metal not Li ions form on the surface of the cathode. This is because the lattice cannot absorb any more ions so it begins to coat the surface. Li ions are safe but that Li metal is VERY reaction, especially to moisture. That Li is going to bond the Oxygen of the water, forming Lithium Oxide and H2 gas. BOOM!!! Especially when there's enough H2 gas stored in the cell, the shell ruptures, and the batteries have high discharge currents. Little rupture and arch is all it takes. FIRREEEEEEEE muahahahahahahahahaha

Similar concept with undervoltage. If you do not keep enough Li ions in the lattice, the entire structure will begin to collapse. Since ions have been in there, the bond lengths have all been stretched and will need support to keep them there. Once collapsed, the structure will not be able to absorb many ions so Li+ will coat the surface of the cathode. Mix with H2O and boom!

I think Chingyul was looking at this phrase of this article:

Quote:
These devices occupy useful space inside the cells, reduce their reliability[citation needed]; ,and irreversibly disable the cell when activated. They are required because the anode produces heat during use, while the cathode may produce oxygen. These devices and improved electrode designs reduce/eliminate the risk of fire or explosion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery

Quote:

Last edited by GBear; September 14th, 2010 at 11:29..
Old September 14th, 2010, 13:24   #15
flack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
LOL! Okay that writer is retarded.

I will try to find a legit source but think about it from a chemistry standpoint. Once you overcharge, you WILL get Li metal not Li ions form on the surface of the cathode. This is because the lattice cannot absorb any more ions so it begins to coat the surface. Li ions are safe but that Li metal is VERY reaction, especially to moisture. That Li is going to bond the Oxygen of the water, forming Lithium Oxide and H2 gas. BOOM!!! Especially when there's enough H2 gas stored in the cell, the shell ruptures, and the batteries have high discharge currents. Little rupture and arch is all it takes. FIRREEEEEEEE muahahahahahahahahaha

Similar concept with undervoltage. If you do not keep enough Li ions in the lattice, the entire structure will begin to collapse. Since ions have been in there, the bond lengths have all been stretched and will need support to keep them there. Once collapsed, the structure will not be able to absorb many ions so Li+ will coat the surface of the cathode. Mix with H2O and boom!

I think Chingyul was looking at this phrase of this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery
Very interesting thanks, always wondered why they explode
flack is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion